So here we are at the beginning of another academic year, all that work to get Moodle up and running has paid off and even if I say so myself it’s looking good! So I’ve given you the Four Top Moodle Questions for Lecturers, now I bet you’re wondering what are the top Moodle questions asked by students.

At the number 1 slot is: “I’ve logged into Moodle and I can’t see any information, where are my modules?” This question normally starts being asked as soon as the students finish enrolling at the university, which can be even before Induction week!  Hopefully, by now all the students that have Teaching Block 1 (19SEP) and Year long (19YR) modules can now see their sites on their homepage. Modules are hidden from student view so that the sites can be updated and are usually released by the lecturer in their first taught session with students. This isn’t written in stone and the lecturer can unhide them at any time once the module is ready.

In at number 2 is: “I’ve got some modules, but some are still missing, can you add them to my Moodle homepage?”  Teaching Block 2 modules are normally kept hidden until the beginning of January.  Some lecturers release these modules before January but others prefer for students to view their material in chronological order.  If you’re still missing modules in January 2020, please contact us on elearn@port.ac.uk so we can investigate the issue further.  

The 3rd most popular question is: “Where can I find my timetable in Moodle?” The answer to this question is, you won’t be able to find your timetable in Moodle.  Your timetable can be found on MyPort Information Hub.  Along the top banner you will see four titles, one of those titles is “My Timetable”.  Here you’ll find a calendar with your timetable on, you can look at it daily, weekly or monthly. Information shown is the length of the lecture, the building where your lecture is taking place, plus the room number, along with the title of the lecture.

The 4th question normally appears in January its: “I’ve been given the wrong year modules. Why do my modules end with the date of the last year?”  Most academic Undergraduate courses begin in August and end in July, so regardless of which Teaching Block it is, the module will end (for this year) with 19. It is the year that the August is in which indicates what year appears on the code and not the calendar year.  So this year you’ll see in January 2020 that your modules will end with 19JAN.

Credit Image: Photo by Tim Mossholder on Unsplash